Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Infocyde!!!

I love RSS (ATOM) feeds. I subscribe to numerous ones. I spend way to much time looking briefly through my feeds using Google Reader, staring feeds that I'd like to read later.

Well, I decided that all these stared links were pilling up, so I went about trying to unstar them, parsing the info and putting it into some useful state either in my brain or an Evernote notebook.

Well, it took pretty much a good chunk of the day, just to get through LAST MONTH's stared items. There is just no way I can process all the data, and as we have learned throughout history (using intelligence and wars as an example) data not processed is absolutely useless, and the time spent gathering it data that wasn't processed is essentially another definition of absolute waste.

So, I'm pondering going to a once a week RSS feed check, and really being selective about what gets stared, and hopefully processing data right then into info. I don't know if I can do this or not because I'm so addicted to real time info, but I really should, for a lot of reasons.

And I bet I'm not the only one out there who has a problem with this. So here are my rules.

1) Can I find this data relatively easily in the future? Yes->Ignore the data.
2) Am I at work? Yes->Star the data for later.
No->Process it (save/copy/bookmark) now.

That should cut down on the info glut. I'm trying to turn myself into a search engine, and that probably isn't helpful productivity wise.

No comments: