Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Winamp Music Tip: Stream Those MP3's

When I code, I almost always have music or some sort of talk radio show streaming in the background. One thing that is bugging me is that I've noticed a lot of folks who offer podcast are starting to offer it in two formats, one a Flash web interface that streams, and the other a direct MP3 download.

That doesn't work for me. I've got so many web browser windows open I often times accidental close the one streaming music, and even if I am careful and don't I have to think about why the window is open and remember not to close it, which I don't like.

Downloading the whole MP3 sometimes isn't practical (i.e. a four hour show MP3).

So I remembered a solution to this problem from my audio editing days.

1) Copy the link to the actual download version of the MP3 file.
2) Open a text editor like notepad, paste the link, and save the file with an m3u extension, like "someradioshow.m3u".
3) Now click on the m3u file. If you have Winamp installed, it will begin to stream the mp3 file instead of download it. Cool huh?

Now we have our music app streaming, and web browser windows can open and close without hassle.

No comments: