Monday, August 03, 2009

Tip: When/How Your Microsoft User Password

Not a major issue, but many of my work resources are some how tied to my domain authentication. So my password expired, so I changed it, but I didn't log off. Over the next several hours I noticed that I was loosing access to resources as my updated password propagaded through the network, but my local credentials hadn't been updated because I hadn't relogged yet. I had a lot of stuff open so I was trying to avoid a relog. I started off closing and reopening programs, but after a while it became such a hassle that I finally shut everything down and logged off/logged on back onto the domain. Problems solved, but I had to restart all my apps again.

So just a tip. Change your domain password at the end of the day, or change it and log off and log back on. If you are like me and have a ton of stuff open, the former is better then the later.

No comments: