Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Big Business's Latest Sketchy Fad


In our automated society I've notice one area of life that is becoming less automated...cancelling something.
I recently tried to cancel my Rhapsody account. I like Rhapsody, but I thought rather then paying $15 a month for access I would flip that around and put that $15 into actually buying music. So I go to Rhapsody.com to cancel...and after about 15 minutes of searchinf finally get to a website where I can cancel Rhapsody by calling a number. So I do, and I get some guy in India with a bad accent giving me a sales pitch to stay with Rhapsody. After another 10 minutes of my life wasted, I finally got Rhapsody cancelled.
I also cancelled a few web sites from crystaltech.com recently. It used to be that if you wanted to cancel an account you could do it from there web interface. Now you have to call a number. So I did...and after three re-routes and 25 minutes of my life wasted the accounts are cancelled.
What I sense is kind of a growing trend among businesses to increase the pain of cancelling services so that less users will drop. I hope it works for 'em, because it is a giant deal breaker for me for recommending a service to others. I hope the little MBA sh*ts that are running the numbers make sure to have a column for people like me who get pissed off when they both can't enter into or leave a service freely.

No comments: