Wednesday, July 18, 2007

[Update] Generation Chickenhawk

[Update] I've thought long and hard about this, and one thing bugs me. The same people who wish to hold conservatives accountable for talking about war but not participating in it, are also typically the kind of people who talk so much about caring for the troops but 1) haven't served, 2) typically support politicians who are anti military, 3) do not demonstrate any real love for our troops what so every with actions.

Again, I thought this was a great video because it calls into people to back up their ideological ramblings with action. The left needs to back there's up as well. Most left leaning politicians haven't convinced me that they truly care about American and Coalition troops. Are they giving their time, wealth, and energy in helping veterans or active duty troops? No. Then they should probably quit harping over and over again about the casualty levels and how they care so much.

Both sides need to back words with deeds. [/Update]

First of all, I would like to say that I'm a conservative, and generally I support the war in Iraq. But I have to say, I don't really think there is a whole lot of rhyme or reason to what we are doing over there. I think defeat would be disastrous for us...but at the same time I think victory in Iraq is unreachable. We would need an additional 200,000 troops and a whole lot more staying power then our current public will dictates. We would need to become more like Saddam to control Saddam's people. I don't think we are prepared to do that. I think we might have to go all the way to win as well, which would include invading Iran and possibly a few more countries. Are we prepared as a society to do that? I doubt it. So we will loose, or partially loose, or partially "win", and we will have another war without a decisive victory.


The guy who wrote this blog and filmed this stint is an asshole. Yet he brings up a good point. Can you be for the war and not participate in it? I've grappled with that myself, and toned down my rhetoric as I'm not the one fighting and dying in Iraq. This guys film brings that point home as he interviews a bunch of college republicans. All are for the war...none of them are fighting in it.


At the same time, I don't think this guy's sample is representative. A lot of conservatives did answer the call and have gone and fought, some of them dying or coming home forever changed.

I think this video is a good reality check for those of us conservatives who advocate military action yet have not served. We should temper our voices knowing we aren't paying the price for our ideological decisions. That doesn't mean are points are wrong, but it does call us into accountability for those points. If we are going to advocate war, do we have the balls to fight? If not, maybe we should temper our voices, and leave the conservative point making to those who have fought and have earned the right to speak.

The link to the video is [Here].

And by the way, I don't believe in peace at any price, and I do believe that war is sometimes a valid solution. Just I think conservatives forget that war comes with a heavy price to those who fight it. That is why I blogged this guy's video, as a reality check.

No comments: