Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Google's Chrome

Google released a new web browser today, as I'm sure most of you have heard-

http://www.google.com/chrome/

It is based on webkit, which is an open source HTML render platform that powered the horrible Safari browser. Webkit is maturing I guess, and like IE's render engine before it, Webkit has come out with some new non standards features that are kind of nice.

As far as Chrome goes, I'm sure under the hood there are a lot of great and useful features waiting to be discovered, but nothing except a clean interface really jumped out at me. I spent about 20 minutes playing around with Chrome, said to myself, "huh", and closed it. I have a feeling at least for now that is where my relationship with Chrome will end. I'll give Google enough credit to leave open the option that perhaps in the future Chrome will wow me. Till then it is back to IE and FF.

On the about Chrome page, check out the Chrome comic if you want to se an example of the culture described in the book "What White People Like" in action telling the masses how to program. Funny and annoying.

No comments: