Friday, August 10, 2007

As if Marriage Didn't Have Enough Problems: Enter Virtual Infidelity

There is a great article on the Wall Street Journal about Virtual Infidelity. It shows that virtual worlds are having an impact on the real, and not always a good one. First it was AOL chat, now it is cyberbanging a cartoonish avatar. Moralist and ethicist will grapple with this for years when any three year old will tell you it is wrong.


As someone who met his current girlfriend/future wife on Second Life, I can see how easily it is to get tangled up in virtual relationships, especially if relationships in the real are troubled and the virtual augments/alternatives are plentiful.

I believe that what you do in your imagination, in a virtual simulation, in a game, what have you, all ultimately reflects on who you are on the inside. I also believe that we all well be held accountable for all our actions, regardless of the realm of acitivty, someday. This is something that troubles me as I've done things in virtual realms that I would never have done in the real, so I'm as guilty as anybody. The whisper of the world is that it doesn't matter, ignore that whisper, it does.

The article is [HERE].

Originally referenced at [HERE].

And no, the picture has nothing to do with my gf and I, just something I found randomly on the web for this post.

No comments: