Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Software Review: Googiespell - Thumbs Sideways

I spent a frustrating morning and afternoon trying to get Googiespell to work with the wysiwyg DHTML web editor TinyMCE.

Googiespell is a quick and dirty javascript api that allows you to spell check HTML elements using google's spell checking endpoint/api/webservice with just a few lines of code. The problem I ran into while using it is that Googiespell doesn't play nicely with HTML editors.

TinyMCE is one of the better wysiwyg web based rich text/HTML editors that I have found. It even works with most versions of Safari. It comes with a free spell checker php class and supports Aspell, google's spell check, and one other spelling engine. There is also on open source plugin that supports netspell for aspx pages. The problem is that I'm stuck with classic ASP at the moment so PHP and Netspell don't help me out much. I even tried using netspell concurrently with my asp pages and that didn't work either.

So I learned two things. One, just because a piece of software wows you initially doesn't mean it will suit your needs, my assumption that Googiespell would work with wysiwyg editors might cost me about $250 bucks (my company through down for the licensed version). So research carefully. Two, Googiespell doesn't work well with dhtml text editors, and that sucks!

Amir who wrote Googiespell has been responsive, and I really like Googiespell. But it isn't the end all spell checking solution so it gets a thumbs sideways.

Googiespell is [HERE].

TinyMCE is [HERE].

Freetextbox and Netspell are [HERE].

2 comments:

Jan Borup Coyle said...

I have spent my night also trying to melt TinyMCE with GoogieSpell or integrating FCKeditor.

Nor of them works ..... Hmmmmm...

Chris said...

Hey I realize this is a couple years late but I did some work on this and modified GoogieSpell to work with HTML. Adding it to a rich text editor would still require some extra work but I have a walkthrough of the basic mod:

http://cbsides.com/blog/post/2/Spellcheck-HTML-Inline-with-GoogieSpell